By Maryjo S
I think most of us have experienced fleas in our home and if any of you have every had an infestation, it is an experience you won't ever forget! I have always had a bad reaction to any flea products and I think it was a blessing in disguise after learning all I have about the damage and problems they can cause, including death for our pets and cancer! I am happy to share information about Diatomaceous Earth with you. I have not seen a single flea since we started using it.
What on Earth is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous Earth is probably a product you are unfamiliar with. Although you may have heard of a different Diatomaceous Earth that is used for pool filters. This is not the same thing. The other product would be poisonous to consume. This Diatomaceous is food grade. This is an awesome product! It has been my experience from using this product, that you will no longer have fleas, ever. I have gotten rid of all insects, including mosquitoes by using this. It is non toxic so it won't adversely affect your pets health. It is full of minerals and is good for your pets overall health! It will keep his coat shiny and glossy too!
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is the remains of microscopic one-celled plants (phytoplankton) called diatoms that lived in the oceans and lakes that once covered the western part of the USA and other parts of the world. These deposits are mined from underwater beds or from ancient dried lake bottoms.
The incesticidal quality of DE is due to the razor sharp edges of the diatom remains. When DE comes in contact with the insects, the sharp edges lacerate the bugs waxy exoskeleton and then the powdery DE absorbs the body fluids causing death by dehydration.
What's in Flea Products that is so Toxic?
Over the counter flea powders, collars, shampoos and sprays also may contain longer lasting pesticides called carbamates and organophosphates, OP's for short.
The Humane Society issued warnings about those chemicals, based on a report done by the Natural Resources Defense Council. The report, Poisons on Pets: Health Hazards from Flea and Tick Products, recommended that the Environmental Protection Agency ban organophosphates and carbamates. The report suggests that the active ingredients in flea and tick products, in combination with other pesticides, herbicides and other toxic chemicals commonly used around the home, can compound the effects. They pose health risks not only for animals, but also for children.
Children are at high risk for damage to their nervous systems because of their smaller size and tendency to cuddle pets and put hands in their own mouths. The report also noted that exposure rates of children and adults to OPs in pet products has not been adequately measured.
Many flea collars contain carbaryl? Carbaryl, also known as Sevin, has been shown to cause cancer, mutate cells, and cause birth defects. How can we possibly think it is safe for our dogs to wear a flea collar around his neck for up to four months? Did you know the manufacturers of these flea collars say we shouldn't even let our children touch the collar? I wonder why? Read the instructions on the flea sprays. They instruct you not to breathe it while spraying your dog? What happens when the dogs breathe while being sprayed? What about the flea shampoos? There is at least one that I know of, so far that has a chemical in it that causes cancer.
How To Use It
We have not had a single flea since we started using this product about 7 years ago! Well, one time we did get fleas when we were traveling home with a puppy we had bought. We were horrified to discover them on the way home! When we got home we kept the puppy separated from our other pets and rubbed the Diatomaceous Earth (it's a powder) into his coat. The next morning the fleas were dead except for a few that had crawled near his eyes. We were amazed! I knew it was for fleas but to see it work like this was a big surprise! It is non toxic and there is no odor. Some of my children and myself are highly allergic to the flea collars, sprays, dips, and bombs. With this we have no problem at all. You can put it in their beds too!
*is a natural dewormer-It kills the parasites inside your pets body. You will still need other things to help with this.
* has 15 minerals in it-It makes for a beautiful coat!
* helps detoxify heavy metals-animals and humans detoxify everyday. In an environmentally clean world, what our bodies did on their own would be adequate, but with so many things bombarding us and our pets, we need the extra help. You cannot have good health without detoxifying.
* offers protection from ecoli, bacteria, viruses, etc...
* promotes shinier coats*acts as a digestive aid
* is a natural colon cleanser and so keeps the colon moving and clean
* kills ear mites and fleas*kills flies, ticks, etc...
* keeps your pet healthy
This is something every home should have.